Easy to make and easy to customize to your taste by using the optional ingredients. I always buy lots of cranberries when they are on sale during Thanksgiving and Christmas and throw the bag right into the freezer for use all year round.
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 4 cups (1 12-oz package) fresh or frozen cranberries
- Optional Diced apple (1) or pear (1), a cut up orange with the skin on, ½ cup currants, 2 cinnamon sticks or 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. allspice.
- Wash and pick over cranberries. In a saucepan bring to a boil water and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cranberries and 2 cinnamon sticks if using, return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes or until cranberries burst.
- At this point you can add the other optional ingredients. I like to add the apple because it adds sweetness and texture and I find currants really seem to work well. I use all the spices too; the ground cinnamon would be added here.
- Remove from heat. Cool completely at room temperature and then chill in refrigerator. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.
Makes 2 1/4 cups.