- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 large yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 12 to 14 cups)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup water
In a large, regular surface (not non-stick) sauté pan, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onions, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper, and sauté until starting to caramelize, about 10 minutes. As the onions caramelize, add the vinegar and water in stages, stirring and scraping the edges of the pan, until the onions are very soft and completely caramelized, about 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat and cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: about 3 cups