Old-Fashioned Advice On Healthy Eating
from the Blog:
- Pandemic Nutrition-Some Happy News!2020 has so far been a rough year and while it has become commonplace to say: we are all in this together or, it focusses our minds on the values of life or, it exposes who is truly ‘essential’ toContinue reading “Pandemic Nutrition-Some Happy News!”
- Maisie’s Pumpkin Pie*Pumpkin Pies taste better when you use freshly roasted pumpkin. Choose the small orange ones that weigh about 1.5 pounds each *Prepare the pie shell, and put it in the freezer while making the filling. Ingredients: Pastry for Single-Crust Pie:Continue reading “Maisie’s Pumpkin Pie”
- STOP RIGHT THERE! STILL TOSS THE MARGARINEThe big announcement came on September 15—“Minister Petitpas Taylor is pleased to announce that Health Canada has taken the final step to ban partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs)—the main source of industrially produced trans fats—in all food sold in Canada.” TheContinue reading “STOP RIGHT THERE! STILL TOSS THE MARGARINE”
A healthy recipe is a satisfying recipe. It should be fresh, tasty and easy to make. No need for fat free, sugar free, taste free!
Cheating Jerk Chicken
- 1 small jar of Thai Green Chili Paste (most large grocery stores have it)
- ½ cup of Plum Sauce any brand will do
- ½ cup of canola, peanut or grapeseed oil (plus extra for coating the pan)
- 1 bunch of green onions, cleaned and sliced. (Save one for garnish if you like). Note: dicing up a small onion works too
- 1 teaspoon of Salt and 1 teaspoon of ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of any hot sauce, chili sauce, siracha sauce that you have in the house. Note: 4 packages of Chinese take-out food- hot mustard of hot chili sauce works well too and I know you have them in the house!
- ½ teaspoon each of ground Allspice and ground Cloves (if you want it to have that real authentic taste. If you don’t have these spices a teaspoon of pumpkin spice also works)
- 2 ½ pounds of chicken pieces, any cut you like, skin on-bone in
- Preheat oven to 375 ○F
- Mix all the ingredients, except for the chicken, in a bowl and stir until well blended. I use my hands and blend until I have a smooth paste with bits of green onions sticking out
- Rub the chicken pieces with the paste until well coated. I use chicken breasts, cut in half
- Line a large baking pan with foil and put it in the oven, let it heat up a bit then coat the bottom with some oil
- Put the chicken on the pan spreading out so they have some space
- Roast 45 minutes to 1 hour, turn once halfway through cooking, garnish with sprigs of the saved green onion
- I like to serve with Baby Bok Choy that I split in half, rubbed with sesame oil, salt and pepper and put into the oven to roast and of course, your favourite rice dish
Read my Blog for tips on healthy eating, healthy cooking and current hot topics on all things food and nutrition.