*Pumpkin Pies taste better when you use freshly roasted pumpkin. Choose the small orange ones that weigh about 1.5 pounds each
*Prepare the pie shell, and put it in the freezer while making the filling.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie:
2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
¼ cup cold butter
6 tablespoons cold water
2 ½ cups mashed, cooked pumpkin
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons of molasses
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 375°F (190 °C).
- Put washed pumpkin on a cookie sheet and roast for about 1 hour, let cool. Cut in half, discard all the seeds and scoop soft pulp off the skin into a small bowl
- Prepare pie crust by mixing together the flour and salt. Cut shortening and butter into flour (use a food processor if you have one).
- Add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time (you may need only 4 tablespoons, or up to the 6 tablespoons). Pulse until the dough holds together and knead into a ball (quickly you want to handle as little as possible).
- With lightly floured hands on a lightly floured board roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough 1 1/2 inch larger than the upside-down 9- to 10-inch pie pan. Gently roll the dough around the rolling pin and transfer it right-side up onto the pie pan.
- Unroll, easing dough into the bottom of the pie pan. Crimp the edges of the pie crust with a fork or by pinching into a design.
- Place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Mash the pumpkin pulp with a potato masher or an immersion blender until thick and smooth. Add evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt and blend well.
- Pour into a prepared crust. Bake 50 minutes or until when a knife is inserted 1 inch from the edge it comes out clean.
- Chill well, overnight if possible and serve with a dollop of whipped cream and I like to add a zest of orange rind.
**Note people who tell you they hate pumpkin pies will eat multiple slices of this one, and then ask for the recipe. That’s why I am sharing it here.
Here you go Mesha-Enjoy!!